Friday, July 16, 2010

Susquehana River State Park, MD


Somke on the water. Paddling the mighty Susquehana River.

Click on images for larger picture

Tried out Susquehana State Park, MD, last weekend. Only this time I towed the Roll-A-Home behind my truck so I could cart my kayak down to the river. The camp site here is not close to the river and I can't carry it that far. But... It Rained!!! It rained hard. The rain started Saturday morning about 6 am and was still raining when I packed up and left at 4 pm. First time to experience rain the ROH and found two seam leaks. I will put some seam sealer on those. Oh well, I did get the new kayak in the water for a few minutes. Deer creek joins the Susquehana River at the kayak/canoe launch site and it was swollen and brown from all the rain (see pic below). Once the boat was in the water I noticed a wall of rain coming down the river. I had left the camper open to dry out the tent since I thought the rain had ended. So, I quickly paddled back to the shore and got back just in time for some more rain. The park has a lot of nice history with a working waterwheel and a museum. The Susquehana river is wide and beautiful. I want to try it again sometime. This park is closing August 8th for restroom renovations and they need it. Seems they would do the work later in the fall. Oh yeah, I used the small window unit air conditioner for the first time on this trip and loved it. Except that I forgot to tilt it backwards. You guessed it, my feet got wet and I was wondering why!!! Won't happen again. I am booked for Jane's River State Park (electric site) for Labor Day weekend. It is one of the best east coast water trails for kayaks... Here are a few pics from last weekend...





Just a few pics of the camper setup. Since the river is 2 miles from the camp site I had to use the truck so I can cart the kayak to the river.



The kayak/canoe put in spot where a creek (Deer Creek?) joins the Susquehana River. My new 9 ft. recreation kayak. This spot just happens to be under an old rail road bridge. The trees to the right in this picture are on an island. This river is very W I D E ! !



Deer Creek joins the Susquehana River. It had been raining all night and day so the creek was muddy and flooding somewhat.



Finally! Paddling the mighty Susquehana River! Awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment